The Blue Water Task Force is our water quality testing program. It is comprised of a group of individuals who, on the second Saturday morning of the month, paddle out to various surf spots on the island, and collect a water sample to be tested later in our lab. We test for Enterococcus bacteria, bacteria that indicate contamination from feces of warm blooded animals, especially humans. It is the standard test for both the Hawaii Department of Health and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.
We also test some of the streams and County Beach parks not tested by the Hawaii Department of Health. We are now testing approximately 20 sites on a regular basis. The monthly results are posted on our website and also on the Surfrider national website.
Surfrider sampling over the years has documented chronic levels of pollution at Pakalas, the stream at Kalapaki Bay, and Niumalu Beach Park. We are starting to test Hanamaulu Beach Park, as it has been recognized as one of the most consistently polluted waters in the nation! We provide this data to the County of Kauai and the Hawaii Department of Health and try to get them to post warning signs at these spots and then take measures to stop the polluting.
If you are interested in participating in the BWTF, or would like to find out more, contact Project Manager Dr. Carl Berg: 808-639-2968 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Enterococcus (MPN/100 ml):
E. Coli (MPN/100 ml):
Recent Blue Water Task Force news:
- SURFRIDER KAUAI BLUE WATER TASK FORCE – APRIL 11TH, 2015 RESULTS -Posted: April 13, 2015
- Surfrider Kauai Blue Water Task Force - March 14th, 2015 results -Posted: March 15, 2015
- Surfrider Kauai Blue Water Task Force - February 14th, 2015 results -Posted: February 19, 2015
- More tsunami debris closing in on isle shores -Posted: February 28, 2013
- Blue Water Task Force 2012 Annual Report -Posted: February 21, 2013
- Blue Water Task Force 2011 Annual Report -Posted: March 26, 2012
- High bacteria counts in some streams, coastal areas after storm -Posted: March 22, 2012
- Coastal Waters Polluted After Storms -Posted: March 06, 2011
Recent Blue Water Task Force events:
- Blue Water Task Force water testing - November 8th, 2014 -Posted: October 21, 2014
- Upcoming BWTF Water Sampling - April 14, 2012 -Posted: March 26, 2012